Vue.js vs React.js
Ultimately, it’s up to the developer to decide which framework is best for their needs. In this article, you can learn the critical differences between them and decide which one to choose according to your project requirements. Here are some factors you can use for the comparison:
- Mobile Application Development
- Community Support
- Size of Application
Both React and Vue use a virtual DOM, which is a standalone object model that is independent of a browser. It means the frameworks can automatically render HTML pages. Both of them have similar structural principles, too. So you will not have to worry about speed or performance quality.
- However, when it comes to component creation and updates, Vue is faster.
- In React, you have to re-optimise a component whenever you make a change. Then, each component ought to be identified using specific commands.
- When the project begins to scale, managing hundreds of components becomes a task that may result in tech debt.
- On the other hand, Vue automatically tracks components without the need to identify each one of them with a specific component.
- It also eliminates the need for additional optimisation and extensive commands, contributing to the framework’s performance and speed.
Before deciding on a framework to use, it is normal for you to check its position in the market. It’s about whether other companies are using the same technology as you are and how. Knowing what other successful companies and websites use these frameworks can help you understand them better.
- Xiaomi, Nintendo, Grammarly, Facebook, Trivago, and GitLab are among the companies that have chosen Vue.
- Atlassian, Netflix, Dropbox, the New York Times, Skype, and Airbnb are among the companies that use React.
The React.js framework allows you to install any third-party components of your choice, while Vue.js suggests particular components to choose from to implement app features. Experienced developers enjoy the flexibility of selecting the components they want. However, it becomes a limitation when it offers extensive flexibility, leading to code management complexities and errors, especially for newbie developers.
The greater developer community that React possesses in comparison to Vue can help resolve this issue. They can provide solutions for development needs in addition to a long list of components. Therefore, because of its active open-source community and references, React.js wins out over Vue.js when flexibility is considered.
5. Mobile Application Development
With React Native App Development, developers can easily create native apps for iOS and Android devices, while Vue and NativeScript work together to develop cross-platform applications. Facebook introduced React Native with a strong emphasis on mobile app development. With up to 90% of the code shared across operating systems, developers frequently rank it as one of the best cross-platform frameworks.
- As an alternative to React Native, however, Vue is hardly a good fit.
- Even though Vue makes developing mobile apps much easier, it is still far from producing as robust an app as React.
- It is also compatible with some mobile app frameworks, such as Weex or NativeScript, but its recognition is not as great as that of Facebook’s creation.
6. Community Support
The framework’s community support and popularity benefit any framework or language developers use. Here, in the case of React.js and Vue.js, the first one has a larger community of developers than the latter. Vue has an active community of passionate developers, and it is a rapidly growing front-end framework with a bright future.
- React.js has over 189k stars on GitHub, and over 331,000 #reactjs questions are answered on StackOverflow.
- Vue has over 74,000 questions on StackOverflow and over 196k stars on GitHub.
7. Size of Application
When comparing React and Vue JS, basic React apps tend to be larger (1-2 MB), whereas Vue apps are typically smaller (50-100 KB). React does not create smaller apps, although it is a library rather than a comprehensive framework. But the React team has been working on it, and in the most recent version, they were able to reduce the app’s size by 30% successfully.
On the other hand, because of how lightweight the framework is, Vue apps are incredibly small. By using lazy loading components, developers can reduce the code size and improve load times.
Hi, my name is Rahil. I work at YUHIRO Global and I help web agencies and software companies from Europe to build developer teams in India.