Advantages and Disadvantages of PHP
We can look into some specifics of the programming language before discussing the advantages and disadvantages of PHP. It stands for Hypertext Preprocessor, a server-side scripting language. Thus, PHP applications run on web servers without needing an online browser. PHP has a syntax similar to C. Rasmus Lerdorf developed it in 1994.
Recently, PHP has become one of the most commonly used languages for developers to create new web applications. The popularity and credibility of PHP are enhanced by the fact that it is used by leading social networks like Facebook and reputed organizations like Harvard University. But over time, its field of application has changed.
Due to its many virtues, PHP’s coding language is ranked among the simplest and hottest programming tools for web development today. This technology provides a convenient way to develop applications, with several additional tools to facilitate the process. According to the Programming Language Index (PYPL), PHP is the world’s fifth most popular coding language.
The PHP programming language is widely used across all domains to develop web-based and other applications. PHP supports the following technologies:
- Content Management System.
- Web-based applications and the development of sites.
- E-commerce websites and applications.
- Data Analytics and Representation.
- Processing of Images.
- Graphical interface design-based applications.
- Developing the Features of Flash
Advantages of PHP
Below are some advantages of PHP, the widely used programming language for scripting. Check out the reasons why PHP is preferred over other programming languages.
1. Open Source and Free of Cost
Being universally accessible is one of PHP’s most important benefits. When it comes to programming and developing as a student, this becomes a crucial factor.
- It is available for download for free from an open-source website
- It can be downloaded and run with any OS, including UNIX, Linux, Windows, etc., i.e., the user has platform independence
- It also provides open access to various PHP frameworks, including Laravel and Symfony
2. Easy to Load
The PHP-based applications can connect to databases and are easy to load. It is primarily used because, compared to other programming languages, it loads faster over slow Internet speeds.
3. Simple & Easy to Grasp
PHP code is a simple language for developers to learn and use. It’s simple to find enough guidance for beginners because it’s an old language, and many people have used it. It is an easy-to-understand programming language despite having a wide range of features.
- PHP is somewhat similar to C/C++ or Java, which makes it more familiar to programmers who typically begin their coding careers with those languages
4. Stable and Flexible Development
In contrast to other scripting languages, PHP has remained remarkably stable over time and can offer assistance and ongoing support. They can also benefit from different versions.
PHP offers a lot of customization options.
- It is very flexible, allowing users to combine its functionality with numerous other programming languages easily.
- It is adaptable and offers a simple connection to a database with built-in features.
- It supports numerous relational database management systems, including MySQL, dBase, IBM DB2, ODBC, PostgreSQL, Inter Base, Front Base, SQLite, etc.
- It is compatible with all web browsers, including Apache, a personal web server, Microsoft IIS, Netscape, iPlanet, and others.
5. No Need for Lengthy Code
It’s a basic programming language used for various purposes. It possesses such a quality that one can use it for any web application event without requiring intricate structures or lengthy codes.
6. Increased Job Opportunity
Since PHP is widely used, many developers and developing communities have emerged. People who understand this programming language better can become potential candidates for jobs.
7. Database Connection
It has a built-in database connection that facilitates database connections and eliminates the hassle and time associated with creating web applications or content-based websites.
8. Robust Library Support
PHP has robust library support, allowing one to use the various function modules for data representation. It has a library of prewritten codes that users can repeatedly use as needed to optimize the program, similar to many other programming languages.
Disadvantages of PHP
Every programming language has its drawbacks and positives. Now go through the disadvantages of PHP to know more about it.
1. Security Issues
Regarding security, PHP is criticized for being open-source software where ASCII files are easily accessible. So it will not be suitable for developing giant web applications. One would have to rely on other programming languages for such content-based web applications.
2. Extra Learning
The user should have extra knowledge about the PHP framework to use the built-in PHP functionalities. Otherwise, you will be forced to write additional codes.
3. Poor Framework
PHP does not allow any modification or change in the core behavior of the online applications. So the performance and features of PHP can suffer. The behavior of PHP does not get along with the other scripting languages. So PHP frameworks are not appreciated very much.
- Regardless of the requirement, it executes the same code repeatedly
- Too many interdependent classes are required
- Provides complicated solutions
- It duplicates the functionality of a web server
4. Poor performance
It is not possible to run multiple features at the same time with PHP. The use of more PHP tools can result in poor performance. Consequently, it is not suitable for giant content-based web applications.
5. Presence of Simpler Programming Languages
The PHP programming language is powerful and comes with a vast community and reference documentation. Still, many other languages have a smaller community and are easier to manage for web applications.
6. Poor Handling of Errors
Error handling is the process of locating errors in a program and fixing them. Developers tend to agree, though, that PHP has subpar error handling. It has poor application maintenance because it lacks effective debugging tools necessary to find errors and troubleshoot them.
PHP is currently a very well-known programming language despite having many drawbacks. The widespread use of the programming language makes it abundantly clear that PHP’s benefits outweigh its drawbacks. Consequently, it still has a sizable developer community.
Learn more about PHP Development
Hi, my name is Rahil. I work at YUHIRO Global and I help web agencies and software companies from Europe to build developer teams in India.